Introduction

Published by Heather under on 11:01 PM
I, along with nearly every breathing female I know from 12-60, have recently finished reading the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. Initially I was surprised that a Mormon, a young mother who graduated from BYU nonetheless, would actually write a novel about vampires and werewolves. What surprised me even more was that nearly every girl and woman I know has read the series voraciously. Doesn’t it seem strange that such a conservative, even somewhat pious, population should become so enamored with what appears to be a hormone-driven teenage romance novel?

I went into the experience of reading the series with a bit of skepticism. I was determined to read the books objectively with few expectations. I quickly found myself becoming obsessed with the story of Edward and Bella. I stayed up late, didn’t do my dishes, didn’t actually do much of anything because I HAD TO KNOW what was going to happen to them. By the time I reached the final novel, I implemented a bribing system for myself to regulate my life a bit. I would set little goals, like I can’t read another chapter until I at least look at what my RS lesson is about on Sunday. I have to at least feed my family breakfast and put clothes on everyone before I indulge in a page. I pride myself on usually not getting caught up in every pop culture craze (Okay, so the last season of American Idol is another exception). I was puzzled at why the story affected me so much. I found myself wondering why was I so susceptible to Meyer’s writing. After a little analysis, here’s what I came up with:

Stephenie Meyer I (and maybe you?) share a lot of the same background and cultural identity. We are both LDS (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) and grew up in the culture of the church. We’ve been taught the gospel since we were very young, and that understanding influences how we make sense of our experiences and the world around us.

As I read, I gradually recognized that my mind was struggling to interpret and anticipate the story of Bella and Edward in the context of the gospel. Subconsciously I was trying to make sense of what it all really means from an eternal perspective. As I started to identify aspects of the story that affected me the most, I started to recognize patterns that I have been taught since I knew the words to “Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam.”

Now, I don’t pretend to know or understand what Stephenie Meyer
was trying to say in her books with regards to spiritual messages. I suspect she didn’t have any overt intentions. She wasn’t trying to write the sequel to the Book of Mormon (although that may be an interesting project for her to consider). I think that her beliefs are so much a way of how she thinks that they just spontaneously emerged in the process.

I have identified 15 gospel principles or ideas that I think emerge from an analysis of the Twilight Saga. My plan is to present the basic principle and explain how I think it shows up in the books. I would love to have this become a conversation. Please let me know if you agree, disagree, or have a different perspective to share. I am going to list the first 5 topics so that you can get the wheels turning. If any one would like to volunteer to write on one of the topics, please let me know! Also, please share the link to this blog with anyone you think may be interested.

9 comments:

stephanie said... @ October 1, 2008 at 7:08 AM

interesting ideas! I don't have anything to add. I have only read the first book. I enjoyed it. However, I can't seem to make myself interested in starting the second one.

Jess D. said... @ October 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM

I just finished the 4th book Monday night. I'll be reading with great interest!

Denise H. said... @ October 2, 2008 at 7:45 AM

I think that I may be the only adult in Utah or anywhere for that matter who hasn't read a single book, page or paragraph of any of her books.

Not that I haven't wanted to but trying to find the time this summer was Big Issue. Hopefully I will get the chance this winter so I will for sure be checking back in on this site. :)

TisforTonya said... @ October 2, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Meg sent me over since she knows I'm the obsessive reader in the family :)

Thanks in advance for all the work you're likely to put in here! This has been a topic of extreme debate amongst friends/ward members... especially given some of the young 12-16 yr olds who are reading the book!

April said... @ October 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I love you heather! This is such a clever idea. I think most people who are LDS and read it were also looking for some connection to the gospel. I liked your ideas alot. Maybe it some how justifys me obsessing over the books like i did. I always thought of Edwards absence in the book like a mission. And Bella was one of those girls who prey on their best "boy" friends until her true love returns.

Lorinda said... @ October 7, 2008 at 5:19 AM

I'm fascinated by your analysis. I agree with all i have read so far (first 3 posts). i was a little frustrated with Stephenie's inability to find different words to describe Edward's "beauty." Perhaps it is just humanly impossible. Another frustration i had was the fact that she had them spending every night together and never engaging in activities they both obviously wanted. I think lots of young LDS girls think it is okay to spend that kind of intimate time with a boy or a man as long as they don't have sex. The problem is that they don't have the kind of practiced self-control/perfection that Edward has and it gets them in tro-u-ble.

Becca said... @ October 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM

I devoured the books, twice (back to back). I was surprised of myself that I even did that, but I just couldn't get enough. I did enjoy looking at it with an eternal perspective. Edward is definitely some angel, who never was fallen (didn't give into the natural man, but still couldn't avoid his desires). If he had, I think it would have ruined the whole book. But I agree with QuiltGirl, that it was a little disturbing with spending nights in her room almost every night, even if there was no "doing" - it's the appearance of it. So I hope that those girls who do read it realize that not everyone is an Edward, a guardian angel.

Unknown said... @ October 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I completely devoured these books, too, like Heather, and my family life suffered for a day while I got through the last one. I will be interested to see what is posted here. I hadn't considered the idea of the books having a spiritual connotation. I find it intriguing. I need to go read your other post, now, to see some of your thoughts.

Of course, I also devoured the 250+ pages she did disclose on her website from "Midnight Sun", since that is what got put out on the internet without her approval or knowledge.I am sad she won't be publishing Edward's version of Twilight anymore. I hope Stephanie changes her mind.

Leslie said... @ January 4, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Great idea Heather! I loved what I read in your blog so far. I have a lot of Twilight fan friends that are going to be thrilled when I tell them about your blog! Expect more visitors!

Post a Comment